Cost (EURO):
From:   To:


Main Countries Ukraine Resorts Kiev Attractions Dnieper bridges

Dnieper bridges

Dnieper bridges - Gallery

In the first half of the 19 century there was no single fundamental bridge over Dnieper. Only pontoon bridges that stood on floating piers covered by wooden spans. Their life period was short — every spring such bridges were destroyed by ice-floes. First fundamental bridge over Dnieper was constructed in 1853. Since that time many bridge structures appeared in Kiev, each of them has its own history...


Paton Bridge
The length of Paton bridge is 1521 meters. It is first in the world all-welded bridge — the mounting of all its elements was made using automatic electric welding. The idea to make all-welded bridge was provided by engineer Evgeniy Paton. He made a revolutionary proposal — to refuse from riveted connections and proceed to welding, which gave advantages in weight, durability and reliability. The idea was approved by Nikita Khrushchev, the leader of Central Committee of Ukrainian Communist party. The construction of the bridge started already before the war, but all of the bridge piers were blown up by Nazi troupes when they left Kiev. Nevertheless piers were restored and the bridge construction was completed to 10 anniversary of liberation of Kiev from fascist invaders — on 5 November of 1953. The bridge entrance from right bank is decorated with propylaeums of Doric order, from left — by 10 meters high columns. Bridge railings are made from art iron castings.


Moskovskiy Bridge, that links Obolon and Voskresenskiy destricts, was constructed in 1976. It consists of cable-braced bridge over Dnieper (816 meters long), bridge over Desenka (732 meters long) and Slavutich quay overpass. It is one of the largest cable-braced bridge of the world. Moskovskiy Bridge was constructed in skew scheme — between two last bridge spans stands A-shape pylon 119 meters high. At a height of 55 meters over roadway the legs of pylon meet together and make an arch decorated on the top with the emblem of Kiev. The spans of the bridge are held up by 12 shrouds, which consist of 352 ropes total length of 52600 meters


Metro Bridge
In 19 century on this place stood Nikolaevskiy chain bridge — the first fundamental bridge over Dnieper which was constructed in 1853. Nikolaevskiy Bridge was blasted in 1920. Later in 1925 the rests of chain bridge footing were used for construction of Evgenia Bosh Bridge, which was also destroyed in World War II. Metro bridge was constructed on this place in 1965. It is a double level bridge for metro trains and auto transport traffic. A metro train way is placed on the bridge axis and astride are roadways. It is 700 meters long.


Yujnyy (Southern) Bridge is the second metro bridge in Kiev. Its construction started in 1983 and ended in 1990. Its length is 1200 meters and it is 41 meters wide. This allowed to place there a metro way and 6 high-speed traffic strips. Huge tower-like pylon of Yujniy Bridge is well known for every Kievan. It raises 110 meters high, 10 meters higher than the tower of Moscow cable truss bridge. Silvery shrouds — twisted steel ropes — make it resembling tremendous harp of divine giant.


Pedestrian Bridge connects Dnieper quay and Trukhanov Island. It was constructed in 1957 and its tracery hanging shape became the landmark of Kiev. The bridge consists of 7 spans and it is 427 meters long. Pedestrian Bridge became the second weld-fabricated bridge of Kiev, and its project was worked out conjointly with Paton electric welding institute.



Petrovskyi Railway Bridge was built in 1929. During the Great Patriotic War it was ruined and restored after Kyiv liberation.
There is only one rail road here.
The bridge is auxiliary. It is used only for cargo railway transportation, excluded some electric trains Kyiv-Petrovka.




Darnitsa Railway Bridge. Construction began in 1870. During the Great Patriotic War it was ruined and restored after Kyiv liberation.
Length is about 1,5 km.
It is the main Railway Bridge connecting right and left banks of Dnipro. The regular railway connection is operated to Estern direction (Kharkov, Donetsk, Moscow, etc.).
It is situated between “Vydubichi” underground station (right bank) and Berezniaki (left bank).


E-mail: This email is protected

Fax: +38 (044) 467-50-61

Address: Ukraine, Kiev, Str. Ilinskaya 12, of. 28